Transition to Secondary School
The transition from primary to secondary school is exciting for children and marks a new phase in their lives. At Bickley Primary School, we work hard to ensure this transition is as seamless as possible and that children are fully prepared for the next stage of their educational journey.
Children from Bickley Primary School move onto a wide range of secondary schools across both Bromley and Kent. In recent years, these have included:
- Bishop Justus Church of England School
- Bromley High School
- Bullers Wood School for Boys
- Bullers Wood School for Girls
- Chislehurst and Sidcup Grammar School
- Coopers School
- Langley School for Boys
- Langley school for Girls
- Newstead Wood School
- Ravens Wood School
- Saint Olave's Grammar School
- The Ravensbourne School
Top tips for supporting your child with the transition to secondary school:
- Encourage your child to be organised. Get them to pack their bag, pencil case etc the night before so they don't have to worry in the morning.
- Remind them never be afraid to ask for help, or talk to someone they trust, like you or their tutor if they’re concerned about anything.
- Suggest they make the first effort to make new friends.
- First impressions last a long time, so encourage them to make sure theirs are good ones – for organisation, presentation, and behaviour!
- Encourage them to make the most of all the new opportunities. They will have the chance to try out new clubs and activities.
- Help them to find out about the layout of the school, and learn where classrooms are (and the toilets!)
- Remind them to find out what their timetable is, what time they need to be at school, and what time they can go home.
- Make sure they know what uniform they need, and what to bring in for sport.
- Encourage them to enjoy it! Making new friends and learning new things is exciting. Remind them that everyone else is in the same boat, so they should just aim to have a good time!
When children move schools from primary to secondary, it’s an exciting time but can also be daunting and mixed feelings are natural.Talking through issues and concerns with your child builds their confidence and gives them support in coping with the practical and emotional worries they may be experiencing. The links below will help you in giving your child the support and encouragment they need to make the transition to secondary school as successful as possible.