SEND - Special educational needs & disability
At Bickley Primary School, we strongly believe that all children have the right to a quality education with a broad curriculum. This includes children with additional needs and disabilities.
Our aim is to provide all children with the best possible outcomes in preparation for life‐long learning. We believe it is important that children acquire skills, knowledge and confidence that can be applied to all future learning experiences, including social, physical and spiritual development. We work in partnership with parents/carers and listen to our pupils so that we can provide a truly inclusive education.
All of the teachers and support staff work together to make sure that all children are included in every aspect of school life as far as their needs allow. From time to time, any child may need additional help, and we aim to provide this when necessary.
At Bickley Primary School we follow the principles of Inclusion as laid down in the Code of Practice for Special Educational Needs 2014.
- To ensure all pupils are offered full access to a broad, balanced and relevant curriculum;
- All pupils will be given the opportunity to reach their full potential educationally, emotionally, and physically;
- All teachers view themselves as teachers of pupils with special educational needs, teaching such pupils is a whole school responsibility;
- All pupils with special educational needs should have their needs met;
- Pupils’ special educational needs will normally be met in the mainstream classroom;
- Pupils’ views should be sought and taken into account;
- Parents/carers have a vital role to play in supporting their child's education and therefore good home/school links are established.